Topic: Sahara Group
Sahara Group is one of the Biggest Companies in Africa , co-founded by Tonye Cole in 1996 , the story of its formation started in the late 70’s and early 80’s, when Ade Odunsi, Tope Shonubi and Tonye Cole were classmates at different points in time.
Their earliest commercial venture started during the banking boom in the mid-1990s. Tope and Ade saw an opportunity to set up a retail business and take advantage of the increased purchasing power of young Nigerian bank executives who had limited opportunity to travel abroad due to strict visa restrictions at that time but wanted, and needed to “power dress”.
Below are the Top Facts you must know about Sahara Group and the owner Tonye Cole.
Top 10 Facts About Sahara Group and the Owner, Tonye Cole
1. Cole is the Managing Director of Sahara Energy Resource Limited, which he co-founded in 1996 with his friends Tope Shonubi and Ade Odunsi. Sahara Energy started out as an oil and gas company whose core business at the time was the trading of excess fuel oil from the Port Harcourt and Warri refineries. It later moved away from being a middleman to become an established trading house diversifying into storage depots and vessel ownership as well as building depots in Lagos, Onne and Abuja with a combined capacity of 55,000 metric tonnes and a fleet of five vessels moving products across West Africa. Today, Sahara Energy is a major employer of labour with staff strength of just over 300 people.
2. Starting out with a pot of about $10,000 culled from their savings, they started doorto-door sales, literally carrying their stock from office to office in the boots of their cars. Very quickly, the outt called Men’s Room, grew rapidly to three major stores, including a agship store at Nigeria’s premier and most prestigious mall at the time, Mega Plaza.
3. Sahara Group is a leading international energy and infrastructure conglomerate with operations in over 38 countries across Africa, Middle East, Europe and Asia.
View this post on Instagram
We are receiving applications to occupy the following positions: 1. Maintenance Officer 2. HR Supervisor To apply, please click link in bio or visit www.sahara-group.com/careers-portal. Application ends Wednesday, March 11. #jobs #recruitment #maintenancejobs #hrjobs #saharagroup #wearesahara #areyouasaharian #bringingenergytolife
4. The 53 Years Old , Tonye Patrick Cole is the co-founder and former Group Executive Director of Sahara Group an energy conglomerate with operations spanning the entire energy chain in Nigeria and neighbouring West African countries to East Africa and beyond.
5. He is married to Sylvia Cole and blessed with many Children, Vanessa Cole, TJ Cole, Serena Cole
6. Tonye Patrick Cole has an Honours degree in Architecture from Lagos University and the Universidade de Brasilia. He worked as an architect in Brazil and Nigeria before co-founding the Sahara Group in 1996.
7. Mr. Cole is mainly responsible for the strategic expansion of the energy portfolio this energy resource conglomerate operating in Nigeria, West Africa, Europe, Asia and the Middle East.
8. He is on the board of numerous companies and NGOs and is the founder of the Nehemiah Youth Empowerment Initiative.
9. He is a Christian and lover of Christ .
10. Apart from Owning other companies in Nigeria , Tonye Cole is a Philantropist and helper of the poor , you can use the comment section below to add more about him.